Monday, July 25, 2011

Alex's 49th email from Chile 7/25/11


Elder Florez & Alex

Hola Familia!!!

Hey guys so this week was an exciting one first off on Monday with Elder Florez we did all of his goodbyes. He was sad but you could tell he was excited La Islita is the only sector he knows. It was Tuesday that was tough. Elder Florez is now in Ochogavia a part of Santiago. When it was time to say goodbye he started crying a little bit I love that kid he is an amazing person. I will probably stay in touch and be friends with him for the rest of my life He is awesome and I am going to miss him a ton. I had my trainers meeting, basically we learned some stuff we need to do teach them the normal things we do as missionaries and what not. But guess what! Besides Elder Florez every ex companion I have had in that is still in the mission is training!! I got to see elder Diaz, Elder Madsen, Elder Nielson, I was like hmmm basically this means I am an awesome companion haha just kidding but it was cool to chill with them all for awhile. 

After the announcment of changes all the trainers went to the temple. It was awesome! I had not done a session for basically a year I was scared I wasnt going to understand anything in Spanish but it was cool cause I understood everything perfectly. It was an amazing experience and I am excited to do it again in Spanish. When I get back from the mission I think we should have a Leavitt brothers temple session in Spanish. President King told us to be back in Maipu to get our greenies by 4:30 but things happened and they didnt show up until 8! Basically that killed any plans I had made for us in Talagante because it is like an hour or so bus ride to our sector. But! I now have my first born of the mission Elder Garcia!!!! He is from Panama! He is pretty legit and I am excited. He is a little on the quiet side but we will see if that's only because it's his first week. He is the first kid in his family to serve a mission and has a ton of questions. His Spanish is so formal. It makes me realize how bad Chileans are at speaking Spanish. Sometimes he doesn't understand me because there are so many Chilean words and sayings. So even though I have a Latin I feel like I am still teaching him how to speak Spanish but Chilean Spanish. 

Alex & Elder Garcia

Our first day together was awesome we went out did some contacts and we found two new investigators our first day! They are awesome, Margarita and her daughter Natalia. the mom Margarita when we ended talking to them told us she feels like God sent us to come find them. I am so pumped to start teaching them. We also ended the day teaching the family I found in my old sector with Elder Madsen and then they moved over and we gave them a baptismal date!!! So now we have 3 investigators with fechas!!!! I am so excited, finally things are turning around here in la Islita!

Just to add to how happy I am about la Islita not being dead. On Sunday we had 6 investigators come to church, and had a church attendance of 60! The most I had seen before was 45. I am just happy right now to see things turning around. It always sucks to be in a dead sector but to see things starting to change is awesome. 

So I recieved something cool and a little interesting today in my email. Every week we write President King an email and everyweek we get one back. Usually it is something generic like thanks for all the work keep it up or you are progressing which is good, but this week I got probably the longest email from President in all of my mission. here it is

President King, Alex, Elder Garcia & Hermana King

Elder Leavitt

I am so emotionly moved to hear about the love you and Elder Flores shared. That is awesome. I know he will go forward with that in his heart also.

I hope you and Elder Garcia can develop a similar relationship. I see in you a unique ability to work with the youth of the Church. The Lord has blessed you with that gift. Take advantage of it. You will probably be a mission president some day.

Make every minute count. Good luck with those baptisms and the marriage.

D&C 112:7 Therefore, gird up thy loins for the work. Let thy feet be shod also, for thou art chosen, and thy path lieth among the mountains, and among many nations.
8 And by thy word many high ones shall be brought low, and by thy word many low ones shall be exalted.
9 Thy voice shall be a rebuke unto the transgressor; and at thy rebuke let the tongue of the slanderer cease its perverseness.
10 Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.

Love,
Pres. King

I won't lie I am kinda scared about the part about being a mission President. I know it is not set in stone or anything but I had honestly never even had that cross my mind and it kinda took me off guard. But whatever.


Well family that was my week I love you all. I pray for you guys all the time. I love you and wish me luck with this next week!!

Con Mucho Amor,

                                     
Elder Alex Leavitt

No comments:

Post a Comment