Monday, October 18, 2010

Alex's 9th email from Chile 10/18/10

Hola family!

This has been a great week for the missionary work in Malloco! We now have 4 new investigators! We have been going through a dry spell and now we have 4! I am really excited about it because all of them are in their families and have inactive members that are wanting to come back so I really have high hopes for all of them. Monday we had an amazing FHE with an inactive family. We watched the testaments and the grandmother was just balling at the end. There really is such a strong spirit with that movie and it always makes me think if they feel it even more down here because this took place in South America. But after we asked the family to share their feelings that they had during the movie, and as they did the spirit was just crazy. I really think we are gonna get them going back to church.

Thursday we had interviews with President King and he kinda foreshadowed the fact that I am gonna get a Native Comp when Elder You goes home. I was expecting it anyway but ya. Also before this Wednesday I think we got the 33 miners out of the mine. Mom you are funny, you think I am in Chile and have not heard about the 33 miners? They have been on the news since the first day I was here haha. Also Thursday we had our three appointments out in the campo. So we walk an hour out there and not a single appointment happened. None of them were there but I did get some awesome pictures I will try to get to you in the near future. We are going to try and go out there again this week and try and catch them at home. Friday I had my last greenie meeting. It was so much fun to see all my old MTC buddies. President told me he is proud of the progress I am making and that he has big hopes for me here in Chile. I am sure that he says that to everyone but it still makes you feel good haha. That night we taught Camilla who is an inactive girl and her mom who is not a member. Camilla is just lazy and doesn't want to get up. We finished our lesson with them and Elder you was giving Camilla some reading to do and when he was doing that I asked the Hermana if she had a Book of Mormon. She said she did, went and got it, and I gave her some reading to do. She didn't fight me at all or anything so I was stoked. She is one of our new investigators. Saturday we went out knocked some doors and have two citas for next week. Hopefully they go through. That night we went over to the Morales. The husband we just activated and their son was baptized the week before I came to Malloco, but the Hermana has not wanted anything to do with the church. When i first got here anytime we would come over she would give us food and then leave. but she has been warming up to us, and Saturday she stayed most of the time and excepted a Book of Mormon. She said no promises but she will try and do the reading. It was neat her husband said that that week he has had about 10 dreams that his wife needed to be baptized and what not it was neat. Sunday we met again with the Gonzales family. Next time we meet with them we are going to try and set a baptismal date with the son, I am stoked. He really gets it. We ask him to read something and tell us what he thinks it means and he is money. He understands it, knows why it is important, I have high hopes for him. The only bummer about this week was that we found out our ward mission leader has been talking bad about us during meetings. The annoying thing is when we have appointments with him he doesn't show up and here he is talking bad about us and saying we are not doing our job. It is just upsetting because he is suppose to be the one in the ward to defend us on anything but Hermano Figuroa who I love and love his family, if I have not talked about them yet, I guess blew up at him and told him he has no right or place to be talking about the missionaries like that. Hermano figuroa was baptized last year and is the elders quorum president and has a love for the missionaries that I have never seen. Like I thought our family likes the missionaries but they make us look like amateurs. Overall amazing week!

Here in Chile Halloween has made it a few years ago. It is not huge but they still celebrate it so I will tell you how it is when it happens but that is all I know about Halloween here. I am pretty positive I will stay in Malloco once Elder You goes home. In our zone we have 3 people who end their missions this change crazy!

The Book of Mormon challenge is awesome. It is hard to do it both in Spanish and English but I am keeping up with it and it is awesome! Next week I will be sure to share my study plan with you. I have gotten 2 letters from dad and 2 letters from Brandon 2 postcards from Sarah and when I was in Maipu on Friday the senior couple told me they thought they saw a package with my name on it. If that is true I should get it tomorrow during district meeting. Oh by the way, we have two senior couples here. One couple who came out a little behind me the Pack's, and we got a new set two weeks ago. This is their third mission together!!! Crazy, one Spanish speaking in the states, one in Argentina and now in Chile!!! So crazy! They are from the States. They are so cute and old it is awesome both fluent in Spanish!

I love Chile although it is starting to get amazingly hot I love it. My Spanish is getting soo much better! and I know it is because I am doing my studying and some. Elder You says he in his entire mission has not studied the way I am now so he knows I will be fine. I have had members comment on my progress and I am talking a whole lot more. I am happy it is starting to come at least a little bit. I still don't understand a lot and make a lot of mistakes but it is coming. I know it is because I have studied so much, been praying for the gift of tongues every chance I get and am trying to work my hardest. I just don't want to hinder the Lords work at all. It is crazy to think we will always be in debt to the Lord. I was reading in Mosiah the other day and there was a verse saying something like we could serve the Lord our entire lives and we would still be unprofitable servants. That is so crazy to think, especially for me down here in Chile, giving up two years to do the Lords work. We could give him our lives and be unprofitable cause we start out our lives in debt, so we serve him to make up for it but when we do the lords will he blesses us putting us in debt again. God will always bless us when we do what we are suppose to do. It is just insane to think about. That probably didn't even make sense. It was just on my mind and it came out kinda just jumbled together. Well I love you all. I pray for you all the time, especially Kira. She has gone through so much she should at least be able to play her oboe. She is way to good to not be able to play. It made me really happy to hear she was able to play a little bit the other day. I miss you all and will talk to you next week.

Love,

Elder Alex Leavitt

P.S. In my sector we found the Dukes of Hazard car! it is all painted like it Confederate flag and all!
P.P.S. My soccer team Colo-Colo is dominating! thought I would let you know

No comments:

Post a Comment